Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Even though I 've just finished it, I would read this book based soley off of this quotation:


Our holiday food splurge was a small crate of tangerines, which we found ridiculously thrilling after an eight-month abstinence from citrus. No matter where I was in the house, that vividly resinous orangey scent woke up my nose whenever anyone peeled one in the kitchen. Lily hugged each one to her chest before undressing it as gently as a doll. Watching her do that as she sat cross-legged on the floor one morning in pink pajamas, with bliss lighting her cheeks, I thought: Lucky is this world, to receive this grateful child.

Value is not made of money, but a tender balance of expectation and longing.


from: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver pg. 287

1 comment:

Liz Bahs said...

Do you know what? I've been following your blog since the beginning of the year and somehow must've managed to miss this post. In the past two months I've been going on and on and on and on to everyone I know about how much this book is changing my life (I'm halfway through reading it now) and have blogged about it twice too. Today I logged in and was catching up on blog reading and just by chance clicked on your BK label and saw this! Glad to know someone else in the universe (though I'm sure there are many many of us) love this book!